Trent Peterson | Private Equity, Retail & Hustle
On today’s show, we talk with Trent Peterson, the Managing Director and partner at Catalyst Investment Managers, a Sydney-based private equity firm. Trent has over 15 years’ experience as a company director and private equity investor. He is currently a Director of Adairs (includes Dusk), Cirrus Media, Max Fashions, Power Farming Group, SkyBus and Dusk. He was a former Director of Just Group, Global Television, EziBuy, Metro GlassTech, Moraitis, Taverner Hotel Group, and Australian Discount Retail.
Prior to joining Catalyst, Trent worked for two years with the corporate advisory division of NM Rothschild & Sons and spent five years in the Taxation and Corporate Finance practices of PricewaterhouseCoopers. Trent qualified as a Chartered Accountant and graduated from the University of Melbourne with a Bachelor of Commerce.
What we discuss on today’s show
- Key business success factors:
- Quality of leadership
- Clearly defined strategy
- Why success is a bad teacher
- Dealing with conflict
- The importance of having a plan, but more importantly, using the plan and measuring yourself against it regularly
- The importance of knowing your customers (at a granular level) and providing a consistent customer experience
- Trends and the changing face of retail
- The $3bn Australian vitamin and sport’s nutrition industry.
- How farming practices are determined by consumer demand for “good looking” produce over nutrient quality
- Sage advice for all new and aspiring entrepreneurs